an outtake from my photoshoot for my Photoshop class. We need to clone ourselves in an image using Photoshop. I don’t know if any of what I took will work for my project, they’re a bit grainy as the lighting wasn’t so great, and many pics are a bit blurry from movement. But it was fun taking the shots…
Finally got around to posting the last few projects I’ve been working on!
Took me long enough… I know. 😉
Project 3 – CD Jacket Design:
With this project, I ended up creating my own imaginary artist. I started with an image I had taken over the summer, added a texture to it, and as it started to take on a fresco sort of look to it, decided to make it an Italian CD… lol. The image of the guitarist is the wonderful Brigitte Dale, a writer and video blogger who graciously let me use her image in this project.
Brigitte is currently in the finals to become the next Sam-e Good Mood Blogger, so help her win this awesome gig by voting for her here: http://www.sam-e.com/job/profile/213
Project 4 – Menu Design:
For this project, we had to use style sheets. I decided to go with a coffee shop theme. Though the shop doesn’t actually exist, there are other eateries in the downtown Port Jefferson area that have the double name, (Salsa Salsa, Pasta Pasta) that gave me the idea for the name of my shop.
Project 5 – Magazine Cover Redesign:
Here, we needed to change fonts and images, and consider the basic magazine layout.
I decided to redesign Shutterbug Magazine. I wanted to change the focus of this magazine from tech and gear, to a more creative audience.
Click the larger images to go to my Flickr page…
click thumbnails to view larger!
With the second project for Intro to Graphic Design, we weren’t able to use our own invitation ideas, we ended up having a grab bag, and I ended up with Divorce Party. After doing a little Wikipedia research as to what a Divorce party is, I decided to go with a “death of the marriage” theme, complete with a coffin box for an envelope.
I tried to come up with a few catchphrases that mirrored the theme. I chose the Trajan font for the text, I like how the font looks like the letters etched in a tombstone. I would have lined the box with a red satin or velvet if I had time to go searching though scrap bins at the craft stores near me, but otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
I realize the images are a little wonky at this resolution. I’ll try to get some better images up here soon.
Always do a test print. Or several. I wasn’t able to get into the computer labs at school, and learned that the hard way. My ad came out a black muddy mess.
I got a B+ still, mainly because the professor liked the idea, the image, and the fact that I took the initiative to take my own photo instead of pulling one off the web. SO luckily, it pulled my grade up, because that print was horrendous.
Here’s the final ad, in color, the way I intended it to look before the printer got it.
Just a quick update. After a week or so of fiddling, I think I may have gotten an image I’m willing to settle with. there’s still a lot that I would change if I had the time (my project is due this Tuesday) but, I think that for a first try at building/lighting a studio, it didn’t come out all that bad.
Here’s the final image.
I’ll post the final project soon!
And with that… I’m off to go drink the still life. 😉
I’m about 2 weeks in to my classes for this semester, and have gotten my first project for my graphic design class. We are to create a mock Absolut ad. So after doing some hunting through stock images, I decided that I’m going to just create on of my own, this way I can get exactly what I’m after (hopefully).
After racking my brain for a bit, I decided to go with the theme Absolut Simplicity. The image being a black background, typical for Absolut ads, with only a tumbler of ice. The Absolut bottle will be in the reflection of the tumbler.
So… how to get the image?
I did a little research online, and found this tutorial here: DIYPhotography.net and decided to give it a try with a few edits, as I don’t actually own any strobes or softboxes, or really any photography equipment besides a camera and a couple of lenses…
Here’s what my creation looks like.
What I used:
- 2 pieces of scrap black fabric.
- 3 aluminum turkey pans.
- 3 work lights. (2 med, 1 small)
- wax parchment paper. (usually for baking)
- 1 large box.
- 1 piece of Plexiglas.
- 2 old speaker stands.
- 1 slightly bent clothing rack.
- a lot of duct tape.
I have to hunt down a nice looking tumbler, and grab a bottle of Absolut still, but I think the little studio came pretty decent. I’ll be posting my results and probably whatever test shots I take soon.