I was asked to design a wedding invitation set for a Cara and Louis, who will be married at the gorgeous Waveny House in Connecticut this coming August! I also designed their engagement party invites earlier this year. They requested an elegant and vintage style invitation to match the Tudor style mansion setting. I decided to use a lovely floral pattern in a soft peach (a ballet pink for two wonderful ballet dancers) for the backdrop of the invitation set, with a deep lapis shimmer pocket enclosure. I mixed a retro-inspired font I designed with starbursts for the invitation design. The invitation and reply were printed on white cotton paper and bound together with a soft peach cotton band and tag echoing the invitation design. I wish this pair a fabulous wedding day at the fabulous Waveny House!
This is what happens when you spend too much time at Starbucks… You get songs stuck in your head.
The original idea started out as a random doodle while chatting with my friends over the weekend. A little time in Illustrator to clean it up, and re-tool some of the letters, and some fun with Photoshop, and here it is; the final poster.
Creating a type specimen book for my newest (and first) type family, Ligne. Next up, a few posters for the Senior Exhibition in a couple of weeks.
Things are slowly starting to come together.
I’ve been silent here for a few months. Things got pretty busy and the commute into the city everyday was exhausting. But now the semester is over, and I’ve got a few months to work (hopefully. Someone hire me!), and do some of my own personal projects that got put aside this past year. Yay!
I hand-made a screwpost portfolio for my end of the year review, and for never building a book before, I have to admit I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I even hand-painted the logo on the cover.
Working on masks this week, 3D and in Photoshop…
I’ve decided to make a mask of mirrors, after a conversation I had with a friend. Here’s a few photos of the progress so far. I still need to paint the left side (waiting for the grout to dry) and attach something to make the mask wearable, since we have to photograph ourselves in the mask as part of the project.
Here’s what I’ve been working on so far. Two more projects to finish… and I’m running out of time!
Many, many thanks to everyone who’s been helping, supporting, inspiring, and donating materials for all these projects. You know who you are, and I couldn’t have gotten this far without all of you! Love you all!
Now its time for me to get back to work.
(Yet another) Self portrait. This is in just the beginning stages. Yes, its a wonky cell phone picture again… My camera is busy with another project at the moment. (See below.) I thought I was going to try this in pastels, but somehow I just kept continuing on in pencil… We’ll see what happens, maybe I’ll try both.
This is going to be a series of water drop/splash photos… the set up was pretty tricky for this one. I ended up with a baking pan since none of my bowls were wide or deep enough for the lenses I have and I couldn’t get quite the right distance away. Seems the combo of this bread pan and my 55-200mm lens and a couple of clamp lights are doing the trick… but its tough to get that lens to move fast enough to catch the action.
Finally got around to posting the last few projects I’ve been working on!
Took me long enough… I know. 😉
Project 3 – CD Jacket Design:
With this project, I ended up creating my own imaginary artist. I started with an image I had taken over the summer, added a texture to it, and as it started to take on a fresco sort of look to it, decided to make it an Italian CD… lol. The image of the guitarist is the wonderful Brigitte Dale, a writer and video blogger who graciously let me use her image in this project.
Brigitte is currently in the finals to become the next Sam-e Good Mood Blogger, so help her win this awesome gig by voting for her here: http://www.sam-e.com/job/profile/213
Project 4 – Menu Design:
For this project, we had to use style sheets. I decided to go with a coffee shop theme. Though the shop doesn’t actually exist, there are other eateries in the downtown Port Jefferson area that have the double name, (Salsa Salsa, Pasta Pasta) that gave me the idea for the name of my shop.
Project 5 – Magazine Cover Redesign:
Here, we needed to change fonts and images, and consider the basic magazine layout.
I decided to redesign Shutterbug Magazine. I wanted to change the focus of this magazine from tech and gear, to a more creative audience.
Click the larger images to go to my Flickr page…
click thumbnails to view larger!
With the second project for Intro to Graphic Design, we weren’t able to use our own invitation ideas, we ended up having a grab bag, and I ended up with Divorce Party. After doing a little Wikipedia research as to what a Divorce party is, I decided to go with a “death of the marriage” theme, complete with a coffin box for an envelope.
I tried to come up with a few catchphrases that mirrored the theme. I chose the Trajan font for the text, I like how the font looks like the letters etched in a tombstone. I would have lined the box with a red satin or velvet if I had time to go searching though scrap bins at the craft stores near me, but otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
I realize the images are a little wonky at this resolution. I’ll try to get some better images up here soon.